Windows are an essential part of the design of any structure. There are different types of windows used for various structures according to the size, purpose and the user’s interest. Roof windows are among the different types of windows used in construction. The roof windows are part of the roofing system of any building. There are different types of roof windows which include; skylights, L-shaped windows, colored roof windows, center pivot, and top hung, panoramic and high pivot windows among others. These windows are burglary resistance and can withstand prevailing weather conditions among others. There are several advantages of roof windows which include:
- Circulation of air through air inlets; these air inlets must be automatic to facilitate free circulation of air within the building at any time of the day. Sufficient flow of air also creates a comfortable area to work in and thus making work more efficient. By having an adequate circulation of air, one is ensured of safety from contaminating airborne diseases.
- Presence of light; light plays a vital role as it enables individuals to see and this protects a person from petty accidents and petty errors while working. Moreover, by installing roof window, your health is assured as light provides vital vitamins necessary for your bones.
- Cost saving: by having sufficient supply of light in a structure through the roof windows, one does not require artificial lighting system. Therefore the regular cost of electricity and the initial cost of installing light bulbs is saved.
- Efficiency: accessing the roof windows is very difficult because of their location and thus increasing the levels of security within the structure. Moreover, the roof windows are not prone to breakages as they cannot be easily accessed by people and therefore their lifespan is longer than that of the regular windows.
- Security: their location increases the levels of security within a building as they are not easy to access. In addition to this, these windows are made from high-quality materials and therefore resistant to breakage.
Factors to consider when choosing roof windows
- Purpose of the building: different purposes require different types of roof windows. For instance, when setting up an office building, clear and burglary resistant windows are the best because they allow sufficient amount of light which is necessary while working. When it comes to hotels and clubs, colored roof windows are the best as they increase the aesthetic appearance of the building and also create a calming environment for customers to relax in.
- Cost: just like other construction materials, the cost of roof windows increase with an increase in their quality, and therefore the most expensive roof windows are always the best. It is always encouraged to buy roof windows of the best quality as they are more efficient and also have a longer lifespan considered to other roof windows.
- Size: the size of roof windows is always directly relative to the size of the building, and therefore large buildings still require large roof windows to facilitate sufficient supply of; light and vice versa. Moreover, the purpose of the building determines the type of the size of roof windows used. For instance, the size of roof windows used in office structure is not the same for home roof windows.