Hardwood timber is believed to be the most beautiful timber for a house. It is regarded to be a valuable asset, do you know why? This is because of its strength, durability and stability. It lasts for decades; it can be polished and sanded for 4 times at least in its lifetime. There are timber species in wide range to meet different tastes.
What are the grades and sizes?
Hardwood flooring varies in grades and sizes. The common sizes are 108 x 19mm, 80 x 19mm and 130 x 19mm, but there are other sizes also available in width such as 180mm, 60mm and 210mm. There are three grades:
- Select grade is the best and highest featuring consistent color and fine character markings.
- High feature grade allows character markings and natural ingredients.
- Standard grade is between both.
Hardwood solid timber flooring in Melbourne is time consuming but is worth it. The benefits make it worth installing. It can be installed on concrete floors, timber joists and also on existing timber floors that are subfloors. The subfloor needs to be leveled and the floor can be given a finish in three types such as satin, matt or gloss. Using hardwood prefinished floor saves hassle and time, besides presenting a finish that is factory finish. However, bear in mind that the subfloor level requires more attention as there is no option of sanding.
Knowing the factors is equally important before shopping for hardwood timber flooring. Firstly, look for the grade, color, width and finish of the wood as the priority.
- Grade – This relates to the knots and veins appearing on the floorboards. If you do some research, you can save from buying an imitated wood that is man-made composite. Always ask if the product is real wood and not a particle board or a veneer.
- Color – The wood colors is based on the trees or plants species. Confirm the floorboard is stained or natural. You must lookout for building materials that are weathered. Such materials will have discolorations and patina. Sanding it reveals the woods natural color.
- Tips: light and wide colored boards are appropriate for small rooms and wide boards laid perpendicular in a narrow room at the long sides makes the area appear wider.
- Width – The width of floorboards is 80mm. You can get wider and narrower boards, based on how you want your space to appear.
- Finish –Staining promotes the wood grain and color patterns. While, the coating gives floors a glossy look. It also stretches your wooden floor lives.